Friday 1 May 2009

Running

There was a cross country running race for a few of the local schools today. I went to cheer on my beautiful niece, Indigo. Here she is, post-run holding the sign I made for her.

It was a great afternoon and I enjoyed cheering on all the kids, even those unknown to me. Though while I was watching, it occurred to me how dislocated we are from our survival. Once, we ran to save our lives – from predators and fire, towards prey and safer grounds.

Then, later this afternoon I sat in the main room of the town hall, while people brought in their treasured possessions for the Not Left Behind exhibition. I cried quietly while I read people's accounts of the fires and looked at all their home-warming sentimentals, including my own.

How lucky we are that we only need to run for recreation.

No comments: