Tuesday 21 April 2009

Your Favourite Cup


From The Telegraph:
Tea really does taste better from your favourite cup

Dr Tom Stafford, psychologist from Sheffield University, says a person's brain is trained to believe the daily ritual of making coffee or tea should be done in a certain way in order to derive maximum enjoyment.

He said: "Drinking tea and coffee is very ritualistic and people become very addictive to the way they want their brew made.

"Caffeine is very much a drug of reward and like any addict, people develop passions on how the drug is delivered.
"Where ever there is drug use then rituals will always develop.

"The long association with the delivery of a morning cup of coffee or tea people genuinely think it tastes better out of a particular cup.

"It might be irrational or arbitrary but it's absolutely true. Your daily brew tastes better from your favourite mug.

According to research, 65 percent of Brits have a favourite cup or mug they use for their morning cuppa.

4 comments:

Permapoesis said...

demographic: born-again black, no sugar, unstrained loose leaf (%?); dubious metaphysics, left-behindists (%?).

Anonymous said...

That's funny, because I nearly packed my favorite cup
when we left during the fires, and reading this, i realise that since then I have become promiscuous and am drinking out of any old cup, even my least favorite yesterday!!
Trudy

tealotus77 said...

I'm a serial monocupist. Right now, my favorite is the giant off white mug with large chips out of the handle and lip.

It's the cup I used to steal from my lover's house for morning coffee before he was my housemate, too. I took that one because I didn't feel guilty stealing it. It has character and it is comforting with its foreign worn warmth.

Meg said...

Monocupist. I like that.