Thursday 19 November 2009

Do Nothing

For the first time in a long time I have started to read a book that's on PJ's reading list and not mine: The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming by Masanobu Fukuoka.

I have loved each passage PJ has read out to me, and then when he blogged this quote yesterday I just knew that I had to read the whole book myself:
The more people do, the more society develops, the more problems arise. The increasing desolation of nature, the exhaustion of resources, the uneasiness and disintegration of the human spirit, all have been brought about by humanity's trying to accomplish something. Originally there was no reason to progress, and nothing that had to be done. We have come to the point at which there is no other way than to bring about a "movement" not to bring anything about.
Fukuoka's solution is called Do Nothing Farming. It's not entirely Do Nothing, but is more concerned with nature playing the starring role and not people, pesticides or machinery.

I live in the country because I love the lack of hustle and bustle, but feel that my desire to create, accomplish and be productive has gotten in the way of my ability to be quiet with myself. I have forgotten how to do nothing.

And so, I have decided to start Do Nothing Blogging, where I will blog according to the season of my mood, and not every single day as I have been doing with gusto for the last year and a half.

This has been a big decision that's been coming for a while. It feels good to actually make it.

So stay tuned, and thanks for visiting us here in the Land of Meg.

5 comments:

Doggerina said...

Congratulations on making such a great choice for yourself! I'll miss your daily blogs, but I will look forward to your rich and wonderful posts with great anticipation. xx

Alexi said...

The blogosphere will be slightly worse off without your daily offerrings. But if it makes you happy,the world will be better for it, Ms Meg.

Petrus Spronk said...

I came to the same one straw book many years ago, and it affected my way of working it also started my study of 'the economy of movement' in relation to my studio work. The man has also another book out which I have got,'The Natural Way of Farming' let me know if you want to read it and I'll drop it off........

Meg said...

Thank you, Petrus! I'd love to read it after I finish this book. Come over for tea and cake in the garden? xx

eddy carroll said...

well i do nothing
often

the grubs eat the leaves
sometimes

but
still
i miss you..x