Saturday 20 June 2009

Winter Solstice

It is the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere tomorrow and to celebrate, the Hepburn Relocalisation Network had a big feast last night at the town hall. Everyone had to take a plate to share that was made using ingredients grown within a 30 kilometre radius. We made a leek and potato soup that was delicious, if I do say so myself.

Apart from the food and the lovely peeps I met, one of the highlights of the night was when people got up and talked or sang about whatever was inspiring them.

I didn't catch her name, but this lovely lady said a couple of sentences about her mother who instilled in her from an early age an appreciation of growing food for her family in their garden.

When we were growing up, our mum was also the chief gardener in our backyard. But in those days, I cared more about our swimming pool, cricket pitch, climbing frame and cubby house than the garden. I loved being out in our yard on a warm day, but I just didn't pay attention to it otherwise. I really wish I had.

2 comments:

Cathie said...

sounds like a fantastic evening and the potato & leek soup has inspired me for tomorrow's dinner!

Meg said...

How did your soup turn out, Cathie? Also, do you have a recipe for sticky date pudding? (I looked for one on your blog but couldn't find one.) xx