Thursday 11 June 2009

Bed in the Bath

A couple of months ago I came across a post a blogger named Sian in South Wales had written about her kids sleeping in the bath. She posted this photo,

and wrote:
Now I tried to sleep in a bath once. It seemed like the thing to do at the time (and yes, it was at the end of a convivial evening) and despite being rather immune to discomfort, courtesy of Mr Smirnoff, I remember it as being deeply unsuccessful. So my knee jerk reaction was to say no...

...and then I thought - why not? Why on earth can't they sleep in the tub if they want to? It's not as if I am forcing them to sleep rough in the bathroom. So I agreed, on the premise that if they found out that they didn't like it, that they would get into their own beds without waking me at 3am to give me the low down on everything. 'Kay? 'Kay.
Yesterday when I received a lovely comment from Sian on my Tank Man Tango post I was reminded of the comment I left on her blog: "I am 35 and have never slept in a bathtub. This fabulous post makes me think I must add it to my list of things to do before I am 40."

And so last night I thought: Tonight's the night. I dragged some bedding into the bath where I lay for about an hour before PJ came in and took this photo.

I'm sorry to report to your kids, Sian, that I didn't last the night.

11 comments:

Umatji said...

Love the turn around time! It is a great story and link, however, I would love a look at your list! Do you REALLY have a list???

Umatji said...

oh and I forgot, maybe the reason you didn't make the night was because you didn't have the tent over you creating the warm and cosy cave!

Doctor Plog said...

The mattress looks comfy though!

eddy carroll said...

Oh I could just cry at how beautiful this image is but my tear ducts are not taps.

daylesford organics said...

We have plans for a trip up north later in the year and with not enough rooms for people in our booked accomodation our plan is for the youngest to sleep on a mattress in the bath. Hopefully we have better luck than you and Sian with it.

Shokoofeh said...

oh Meg you're fantastic!

WriterBee said...

This is such a wonderfully Meg thing to do. Maybe just as well for PJ that it was uncomfortable. If you'd slept well you might have begun spending every night in the bath!

Doily said...

tee hee.

Meg said...

Dear Umatji, I kind of have a list of things I want to do before I'm 40. It's in my head, not at the back of my journal with all my other lists. Maybe I'll write it down and blog it if it's not too lame.

Maybe you're right about having a tent above me, but it was more that I couldn't lie flat. The mattress was a little bulky but it needed to be. The bath was just so cold! Maybe I'll try again in the warmer months.

Claire said...

hooray! I'm sorry you didn't last the night. Nor did I when I was 10, nor the time when I slept under the stairs (harry potter style now in retrospect).

danni said...

lol the best way to sleep in a bath in my view is if its one of those shower baths and you have the water on so it just goes down the plug lay down chillax and feel the water running over you... sleep isnt far behind lol unfortunatly though with water restrictions and everything not a very 'wise' thing to do now