Tuesday 24 February 2009

The Upside

I didn't learn anything at the town meeting today but I'm glad I went. The CFA, police and mayor discussed the position of the fires in our region and the hot, windy conditions expected on Friday. They talked about leaving early and not waiting until you can see flames, or having a damn good fire fighting strategy in place if you decide to stay.

My sister Kate's house is surrounded on four sides by beautiful bushland. Last night and this morning the fire gobbled the bush on one side, right up to their house, though their home is untouched.

Today's meeting brought the community together and brought out people's best sides – expressions of love and concern for my sister and her family, offers of meals and vegetables from people's gardens and a place to stay if people need safety or some company.

Thinking about the camaraderie and kinship, PJ and I marvelled that one of the upsides of global warming is social warming.

1 comment:

eddy carroll said...

Spot on Meg,
there really is an up side
I also marvel at human-kind-ness
X
thinking of you